In article <4776AE4A-7F46-11D8-BF42-000A95676A62 / pragprog.com>,
Dave Thomas  <dave / pragprog.com> wrote:

>On Mar 26, 2004, at 10:14, Piergiuliano Bossi wrote:
>
>> My 2 cents (slightly related to libs): what do you think about a new
>> section on installation structure, explaining rationale, usage, etc of
>> main directories, how to install, how to shape a library in order to
>> install it properly and so on?
>
>I'm thinking on having an appendix on packaging with RubyGems - do
>folks think that's the way to go?

That probably is the way to go.  At this point RubyGems seems to be
emerging as the standard packaging system (and if you put it in your book
it will definately become the standard).  They still have some work to do,
however (C extensions) - when do you think you'll be publishing?  You
might want to write this part last so that RubyGems has a bit more time to
mature... or I suppose you could decide how you would like some of the
missing features to function, write them up that way and then the RubyGems
folks would have to implement them that way (Documentation-driven
development) ;-)

Phil