ptkwt / aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) wrote in message news:<c3tr3a0187b / enews3.newsguy.com>...
> toolkit-agnostic GUIs.  There was some discussion of this as a project,
> I'm just wondering if anyone starting putting anything together.

Yeah, I've got some basic code working using FOX as a backend, but it
is going slowly.  Not because it is difficult, but because of time
constraints.  I can already generate UIs with the core widget set from
XUL.  Basically, it is usable -- in a limited way -- for application
development, but it isn't very complete.

I need to do some documentation, some packaging, and I wanted to get a
couple of other back-ends working as proof-of-concept before I
released it, but if you want a copy, I'll tar it up for you.

> I'm currently deveoping a Ruby/FLTK GUI, but there is some talk about
> moving to a Mozilla-based solution and it would be nice if I could just
> code up the GUI in XML/XUL and then either generate the FLTK code or take
> the XUL directly to Mozilla.

I decided not to use FLTK because FLTK doesn't provide layout
managers, and I'm not about to write them myself.  XUL uses high-level
layout mechanisms, so I've been focusing on toolkits (backends) that
provide these.

You can't use Mozilla, currently, because there's no Mozilla->Ruby
binding that would allow the Mozilla-generated events to call Ruby
code.

--- SER