Jason Voegele wrote:

> I solved this problem by using init scripts.  I have two init scripts
> called setup_home and setup_work.  These scripts copy alternate versions
> of configuration files depending on whether I'm at work (attached to
> external monitor, keyboard, etc.) or at "home" (unattached laptop).  I
> have one of these two scripts start depending on the runlevel. I can then
> choose a run level at boot time, which is very easy with GRUB, and these
> scripts will choose the right settings for me.

Ah, much nicer.  I've got a custom runlevel already for booting without
X--don't know why it didn't occur to me to do this for booting with a
different X server layout.  Thanks, Jason!  This will do nicely.

I may still try to experiment with the hardware detection route... just
for fun... ;)

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 / email.byu.edu

ruby -h | ruby -e
'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a <<
r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'