On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:34:30PM +0900, Xavier wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:10:43 +0900, nobu.nokada wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > At Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:59:27 +0900,
> > Xavier wrote in [ruby-talk:95826]:
> >> It's not a ruby issue. You need to compile it (and your system as
> >> well) with large file support.
> >
> > The main problem is that MSVCRT doesn't provide it.
>
> I have no idea what MSVCRT is, but since it starts with MS, it must be
> part of a legacy OS that I haven't touched in a light year.

It smells like microsoft visual c runtime.

The ``legacy OS'' you're talking about happens to be the platform the
OP runs on, so spare the derision for the appropriate lists please.
(Others could be laughing you explicitely have to ``compile for large
file support'' -- where are we, in the 80s? Just spare it.)

So what does windows itself use to offer access onto those large numbers ?
Seems the stat compat (ms-w wasn't posix last time I looked, so I'll boldly
assume it has no stat itself) needs to use another library call. After all
it's possible to write apps in C, compiled with msvc, running on windows,
which are able to properly report the filesize.

-Martin