Hi gurus and nubys,

I'm going to put some memes toghether running away in few minutes, to
see what the community thinks.

I just run across this paper[1] from latest PyCon
that explains a way to compile Python to actually efficient C++
using automatic type inference.

I remember matz and others were someway interested in Type/interface
inference, (see this[2] and this[3])
and I, FWIW, would love to see type inference in ruby.

It seem that in the thread referenced by [3] matz pointed out that
stuff like this:

 def whatiwould(x, flags)
    if flags
      x = Regex.new(x.join("|"))
    end
    x.match(@str)
  end

would be actually too hard to analyze for interface/duck signature
inference.

And this relates to blogging from PragDave[4] and Chad Fowler[5]
I which appears the interesting meme that "we don't want to check
variable usage anytime, we would just check that once a variable has a
type, it does not change substantially".

Actually I believe too, that you don't need and should not do
x=12
x='str'

Would it make sense to have a flag to say to the interpreter "raise an
exception if this variable gets a new assignment" and then do type
inference?

[1]
http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/1/paper.pdf
[2]