<snip>
> What's your real limit? If it's 4 gigs, you might try adding 4 gigs to
> the (negative) size. E.g.,  -20,000,000 => roughly 2,020,000,000
> bytes.
>
> Of course, 4 gigs really is 2**32 or some such.
>
> If the real limit is more than 4 gigs, I don't know if there's any
> reasonable workaround.
>
> Hal

unfortunately, I am looking at some files over 14 Gigs.

Its part of an automated backup system, that tries to keep as many
days worth of data as possible.  It looks at the amount of free space
left and then tries to find out the size of the last backup (all in
one directory tree) adds a growth factor and deletes the oldest
directory, repeat until we have the space needed.  My problem is
getting the directory tree size, and I tracked it down to
File.stat.size always returning 2 gigs or less.

I may have to revert to ding a `dir` and parsing that out.

I was hoping for another Ruby Way of find the file size.

Thanks though,

Walt

Walter Szewelanczyk
IS Director
M.W. Sewall & CO.        email : walter / mwsewall.com
259 Front St.            Phone : (207) 442-7994 x 128
Bath, ME 04530           Fax   : (207) 443-6284