Hi --

(posting through my Usenet provider, hoping the gateway will
work in this direction....)

Simon Strandgaard <neoneye / adslhome.dk> writes:

> In Ruby2 it would be nice to get rid of 'camelCase', so
> that 'under_score' naming is enforced by the language.
>
> Should I submit an RCR about this ?
> Resistance ?  any good reasons to use camelCase ?

I dislike camelCase variables in Ruby as much as anyone, not only for
their visual incongruity with conventional Ruby but also because I'm
uncomfortable with everything rooted in the idea that
[Java,Perl,C++,...] conventions should have priority in Ruby so that
[Java,Perl,C++,...] programmers (rather than Ruby programmers) will
feel good.  I honestly believe that people's quite genuine love of
Ruby often manifests itself in a kind of language inferiority complex.
I've never understood why.  Ruby itself makes people feel good.  We
should trust it :-)

Anyway....  While I certainly root for traditional Ruby style, I don't
think actual under_score enforcement is appropriate.  I think it's
better for people to learn from the standard library, Matz's
explicitly expressed preferences, and the bulk of practice.

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net