On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:34:06 +0900, James Britt wrote:
> Simon Strandgaard wrote:
[snip]
>> Should I submit an RCR about this ?
>> Resistance ?  any good reasons to use camelCase ?
>
> First submit an RCR for required indentation and significant white
> space.  I'd feel the same way about that.  :)

One of the first language I programmed in was AMOS for the amiga500
(multimedia Basic clone).  Its editor enforced many things, uppercase for
somethings, lowercase for others, it enforced the indention level, and it
enforced how chunks of code could be folded. Though I don't know how much of
it were enforced by the language.

It didn't gave me any choice, users of that language didn't have
to worry about such details. Maybe because all such ackward problems were
cut away, kickstarted my programming carrier even though I hardly
understood any english at that point.

Its about breaking as much as possible in the transition to Rite,
somebody has to raise the nasty questions, and this question is in
paticular about religion.

> There are various cases where I want to map some string from the outside
> world to a method invocation.  For example, when stream processing XML.
> Any restrictions on naming makes this harder, particularly if I don't
> control the naming conventions for the source XML.

sounds cludgy.

> I want fewer syntax restrictions, not more.

Too much freedom may turn into anarchy.    ;-)

--
Simon Strandgaard