Simon Strandgaard wrote:

> Resistance ?  any good reasons to use camelCase ?

Imagine a workplace where the dominant language is Java and hence people are used to using camelCase ... and it's probably specified in a coding standard, if one exists.

In such an environment, being forced to use a different convention could easily be the thing that stops people from adopting Ruby for some of their work.

Personally, I dislike this sort of forced conformance.  So long as there's consistency within a given piece of code, I don't see it's really a huge problem what the approach is.  I believe people tend to overemphasise the importance of these kinds of conventions.

Put it this way, if someone wrote the Ruby "killer app" library and they didn't follow whatever convention you considered to be "correct", would you seriously just ignore that code?

Just my AUD0.02 worth.

H.