Hi,

I'm trying to get-up-to-date with Ruby community happenings and jump on
the RubyGems band wagon for an upcoming Rockit release.

A q arises: What to include in a gem?

Seems many of the existing gems includes most of the files traditionally
supplied in a tarball. To me that seems kind of strange since the files
will end up in a dir which is "hidden" (well not really but mentally)
from the user and thus not easily available/visible. Also if everything
goes into the gem (README, docs, samples etc) then it is included in
every version and there might be bloat/duplication etc. So my instinct
tells me to only put the necessary files into the gem but then the gem
cannot replace a normal tarball since users will not get the README,
docs, samples, tests etc. So in the future we will still need ordinary
tarballs even if gems take on? Can someone ease my confusion?

Regards,

Robert Feldt