On Mar 18, 2004, at 7:21 AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> On Thursday, March 18, 2004, 10:15:29 PM, Gavin wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, March 18, 2004, 8:05:53 PM, Leon wrote:
>
>>> Greetings, I'm pleased to announce the release of Log4r 1.0.5. The
>>> notable thing about this release is that Log4r is now available as a
>>> gem,
>>> allowing for dead simple installs. No need to squint at a cramped
>>> SourceForge release page!
>
>>>   gem --remote-install=log4r
>
>> $ gem --remote-install log4r
>> Error installing gem log4r: Could not find log4r > 0.0.0 in the
>> repository
>
>> Probably my problem.  Anyone know how to fix it? :)
>
> The problem is that my RubyGems believes it should look towards
> http://www.chadfowler.com:8808 to find remote gems, whereas the real
> repository is now http://gems.rubyforge.org.
>
> So how does RubyGems know where to look?  It uses the (poorly named)
> "sources" gem, whose sole purpose is to define Gem.sources.

The name is familiar to people who use debian or other apt-based
systems.  Gems is loosely modeled after Debian's apt (among other
packaging systems).  So, "sources" isn't probably as poorly named as
you think.  :)  The point of this being a gem, obviously, is that it
can be updated remotely.

> My local copy of "sources" is at version 0.0.1.  The version on
> chadfowler.com is also version 0.0.1.  "sources" doesn't exist at
> gems.rubyforge.org, so I can't get a new copy from there.

The idea is definitely that we could update it remotely at some point.
For now, RubyGems Alpha ships with the most recent sources package (as
does RubyGems CVS).

> So I'll manually hack it (the installed gem, that is :) and see how I
> go.
>
> Yep.  Setting it to "http://gems.rubyforge.org" did the trick.  I can
> now see a proper remote list.
>
> So how does a fresh installation of RubyGems know where to look?  I'm
> running latest CVS.

Looks like you may be having some CVS update problems.   Either that,
or install.rb didn't work properly?  On my box, if I change sources.rb
and re-run install.rb, I get the new sources gem installed.