I have tried to rewrite an old short Perl script, that reads a Unix
password file, and prints loginname and realname if the userid number
is greater than 100. The Perl script is here:

#!/usr/bin/perl

open (PASSWD,"/etc/passwd") || die ("Can't open passwd file!");
@passwd = <PASSWD>;
close (PASSWD);

foreach (@passwd) {
        @userdata = split(/:/,$_);
        if (@userdata[0] =~ /^#/) {
                next;
        }

        if (@userdata[2] > 100) {
                printf "%12s %30s\n", @userdata[0], @userdata[4];
        }
}

# Script ends

I have been reading "Programming Ruby" written by The Pragmatic
Programmers, and
I have no trouble opening the password file, and I can also print the
file content to the screen. I am having a problem writing the loop the
"Ruby way".

I will appreciate, if someone takes the time and helps me getting
further with my attempts on programming Ruby.

/Allan