Hello Kirk,

KH> Sorry about the lack of quotes.  I deleted what I was going to reply to.
KH> Ha.

KH> On the issue of an RAA mirror, my interpretation was that Lothar was
KH> talking about mirroring the packages themselves.  i.e. following the
KH> where-to-download links from each of the projects and pulling a mirror of
KH> those items.  That way, should they become unavailable from the original
KH> site, they are still available someplace.

Right this was my intention. It was pure coincidence that at the day
of my posting the RAA website was also down.

And i think it is not very encouraging people who look at ruby when
the main application archive has more then 50% (that my result - looking
for email apps or libraries) garbage.

Writing a tool that periodically downloads .tgz files from the given
url and records the alive state of the link (last time failure,
download rate etc.) like every simple shareware site does shouldn't be
a problem for a software developer community.

Maybe a good way is to use the ASP (Association of shareware
professionals) XML based "PAD" format for RAA entities.
At www.asp-shareware.org there is also a toolkit for setting up
something like www.download.com in a few days.

--
Best regards,