David Garamond wrote:

> Groovy, a scripting language targeted for JVM, was mentioned in
> Slashdot today.
>
>  http://groovy.codehaus.org/
>
> Any comments? It seems to borrow some stuffs from Ruby, like closure
> (which is very much like Ruby's block), the =~ regex matching
> operator, and even the "Principle of Least Surprise". But syntax-wise
> it's basically a mixture of Python, Ruby, and Java. It has some stuffs
> that Ruby doesn't currently have like keyword arguments, easier
> embedding, and native threads, but it's still not Ruby :-)
>
 >>borrow some stuff<<- seemed to me it borrowed _a lot_, i was
surprised at how much.

gabriele renzi wrote >>number of { and }<< and semi colons too - i
really miss those :)

markusjais / yahoo.de wrote: >>only future will tell if this will be a
huge success or not<< my guess is that it will be a big success as
scripting languages supplant compiled ones as biz decision makers begin
to see that you can get real work done with them in less time. this is a
good thing for ruby, me thinks, as there are so many java shops who
could benefit from groovy immidiately and get them thinking of script
languages for real work. if i were a java guy(or mgr) i'd be all over it.