I recently decided that for the sake of portability it might be better
if I changed my app to not use the SQLite specific modules (ruby-sqlite
or sqlite-ruby, one of those) and instead made use of dbi.

Well, I quickly discovered that when using DBI.connect to my SQLite
database, it locks it and none of the other classes in my app can open
it to make extraneous queries.

SO...  is there a "good" way (perhaps using BEGIN) to establish my
database handle for use by all classes/modules within my application?
I've fiddled with BEGIN but it seems to have scoping problems that I am
not familiar with (I am, btw, a relative newbie to Ruby, having been a
Python person up until the last month or so).

Thanks!

Mike J.

PS - And thanks again for the [previous] help getting the SQLite stuff
compiled and installed on my BeOS machine!