Simon Strandgaard wrote:

> BTW:  the purpose of the project is unclear to me.
> I tried browse the rdocs but didn't got any wiser.

The docs are a work in progress, and are written with the expectation
that the reader knows what Inversion of Control is (though a better term
is Dependency Injection).  I hope to fix that eventually, but for now
the best I can do is direct you to other documentation:

Here's a description of IOC from the Avalon Apache project:
http://avalon.apache.org/framework/cop/guide-patterns-ioc.html

Here's a description of the Spring framework (one of the several Java
IOC containers):
http://www.theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=SpringFramework

Here's a great essay on Inversion of Control and Dependency Injection:
http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/injection.html

 From my own (admittedly limited) experience with IoC containers, I've
found them to be particular useful at decoupling the component pieces of
an application.  It also is very powerful when you need to be able to
swap out specific implementations of a component, because you can do it
without modifying any code at all (you just have to make a change to the
configuration file(s)).

Has anyone else had more experience with IoC containers?  Anything else
to add?

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 / email.byu.edu

ruby -h | ruby -e
'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a <<
r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'