Hi!

* Josh Huber:
> > Some remarks and questions:
> >
> > What about "(add-hook 'ruby-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)"?
>
> turn-on-font-lock is an XEmacs thing, not applicable to GNU
> Emacs...

$ emacs --version|head -1
GNU Emacs 21.2.1

Start, enter

    M-x describe-mode font-lock-mode

which among other information displays:

You can enable Font Lock mode in any major mode automatically by
turning on in the major mode's hook.  For example, put in your
~/.emacs:

    (add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)

Switch to *scratch*

    M-x lisp-mode

No highlighting here. Enter

    (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)

enter

    M-x eval-current-buffer

again enter

    M-x lisp-mode

Voila`: Syntax highlighting.

> > Does '(setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)' have any effect in
> > ruby-mode (I don't have ruby-mode installed here so I cannot check)?
>
> This variable also doesn't seem to be used in gnu/emacs...

It definitely works in GNU Emacs. Checked with tex-mode. nil
arguments to textbf (i.e. bold face) display in ordinary face, if set
to t they display in bold face.

TeX files are especially good for testing syntax highlighting:

open file, switch to lisp-mode, mark all lines, M-x comment-region
results in a file that still is okay for TeX syntax highlighting
while at the same time is a lisp file.

You know that the setting to take effect you need to do a
font-lock-mode cycle (i.e. switch it of and on again).

Did I point out that my favorite editor is vim and that I *very*
rarely use GNU Emacs?

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT
--
http://oss.erdfunkstelle.de/ruby/    -     German comp.lang.ruby FAQ