On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Robert McKinnon wrote:

# Another Rublog/Apache problem, extra characters are leaking into my
# HTTP Response content which is preventing RSS XML from being parsed on
# the web browser.
#
# Parsing error:
#    XML Parsing Error: xml processing instruction not at start of
# external entity
#    Location: http://.../index.rss
#    Line Number 3, Column 1:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
#
# HTTP response:
#   HTTP/1.1 200 OK
#   ...
#
#   fb9
#   <!DOCTYPE rss PUBLIC "-//Netscape Communications//DTD RSS 0.91//EN"
#
# "http://my.netscape.com/publish/formats/rss-0.91.dtd">
#   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
#   <rss version="0.91">
#
# What is that extra fb9? The response content is being created by the
# Template class in rublog/Template.rb; methods:

Have you tried running the script from the command line?  I'd be
interested to know if the fb9 appears there.  I'm not seeing it in any
instance for my rublog implementation.  You'll have to set PATH_INFO,
QUERY_STRING, and HTTP_HOST environment variables to run the CGI program
from the command line.

#
# PS: I added the following line in the RssView.render() method to get
# RSS content type to be text/xml:
#       @response.add_header("Content-type", "text/xml")
#

Hmm.. I think that should be included.  Dave, it looks like you removed
the RSS_MIME_TYPE reference in version 1.8 of View.rb in CVS (when you
added the Last-modified header).  Mistake?

Chad