On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:29:41AM +0900, Andreas Schwarz wrote:
> I did that in the last forum i wrote, and I hate it :)

Yeah, heh, I would hate it too. But you get the hyperbole.

> Most template systems have "if" constructs, iterators etc...

Well, that doesn't mean you have to follow the crowd. PHP boards are quite
poorly written. Thinking of VBulletin's templates gives me the shivers.

> I won't use Amrita because it seems to be a real memory and cpu hog
> (haven't tried the latest version though), and I really don't see the
> point in parsing the whole template with rexml just to exchange a few
> strings. For big complex sites and with caching, maybe - but not for a
> forum that is intended to have speed as its main (but I hope not only)
> feature.

Well, I agree Amrita's quite slow. In fact, for my forum I rewrote an
Amrita-like system using xmlparser instead of REXML. In any case, it's faster.
That aside, I think a majority of the time will be spent on SQL queries. As
for caching, I don't really know how that will work in something like a forum,
where the data could be updated frequently (I assume you're expecting a lot of
users, if you're making speed a top goal).

Good luck with your project. :)

--
Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three
  steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.