Shu-yu Guo wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:39:40AM +0900, Andreas Schwarz wrote:
>>
>> I didn't take a closer look at gettext, what are the main advantages
>> over a simple hash-based system?
>>
> The translation files (po's and mo's) are in the gettext format, which means
> you can use existing tools to edit and create them. This would make it easiers
> for the translators, who probably are already familiar with GNU gettext.

I'm not convinced that gettext has many advantages in a web application,
and the main disadvantage is that people need special tools to make even
small changes.

>> I originally intended to hard-code the language setting in the config
>> file, but as I plan to add an english section to my forum I thought it
>> could be useful to make it selectable for the user.
>>
> Looks like our original intentions were reversed :) If you're going to have a
> separate section then I suppose you do need to make it selectable.

At the moment I am still at a very early stage of the project, and I'm
not too sure about what will and what will not be included in the result
;)