On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:39:40AM +0900, Andreas Schwarz wrote:

> I didn't take a closer look at gettext, what are the main advantages
> over a simple hash-based system?

The translation files (po's and mo's) are in the gettext format, which means
you can use existing tools to edit and create them. This would make it easiers
for the translators, who probably are already familiar with GNU gettext.

> I originally intended to hard-code the language setting in the config
> file, but as I plan to add an english section to my forum I thought it
> could be useful to make it selectable for the user.

Looks like our original intentions were reversed :) If you're going to have a
separate section then I suppose you do need to make it selectable.

--
Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three
  steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.