...but now I have rebuilt my system, and installed ruby, installed
sqlite (which I know works because I have created a database replete
with tables and data and other apps see it, like BeAccessible) but when
I try to install ruby-dbi or sqlite-ruby it bombs.

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.6.4 (2001-06-04) [i586-beos]

sqlite-ruby:

$ ruby extconf.rb
checking for main() in -lsqlite... no
checking for sqlite.h... yes
checking for sqlite_open() in -lsqlite... no

ruby-dbi:

$ ruby setup.rb show
bin-dir    /boot/home/config/bin
rb-dir     /boot/home/config/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6
so-dir     /boot/home/config/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/i586-beos
ruby-path  /boot/home/config/bin/ruby
make-prog  make
with       dbi,dbd_sqlite
without    (not specified)
$

$ ruby setup.rb setup
entering setup phase...
setting #! line to "#!/boot/home/config/bin/ruby"
setup.rb: skip bin/proxyserver(dbd_proxy) by user option
/boot/home/config/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for sqlite_open() in -lsqlite... no
make
make: *** No targets.  Stop.
setup failed
'system make' failed
try "ruby setup.rb --help" for usage
$

I am at my wits end!!  Does anyone have ANY idea what could be going
wrong??  As I said, other applications see sqlite just fine, why can't
ruby pick it up??