Ruby Baby wrote:

> I run a website that's all PHP now, but was due for
> a total re-write anyway.  (The old code is a mess.)
>
> It's more MVC style - where the code comes first and
> outputs HTML from templates - NOT embedded code inside HTML.
>
> I love Ruby so much that it's very tempting to write
> my new version in Ruby (mod_ruby + Apache).
>
> But I wonder if anyone who has already done a whole
> interactive website in Ruby/modruby could share their
> experience with it?
>
> Were there any featured you really missed or any surprise
> problems?   Would you recommend it for someone else?
>
> I know the question is vague, but I can't tell if I'd
> be making a big mistake by trying it this way, especially
> if I didn't realize until I was a month into it.
>
> Thanks!

I am in the same situation as you, and began to look at cgikit.
http://www.spice-of-life.net/download/cgikit/index_en.html

My only regret is that I didn't discover cgikit earlier. I can do everything
I did in PHP but much more cleanly, clearly, and also faster. The
infrastructure put in place by cgikit is really what is needed in web
development (I really like CKRepetition).

My only experience until now is to reproduce all kind of stuff I did in PHP,
but my next web development will be based on it as I could reproduce
everything in a matter of hours (included the time learning cgikit).

I don't want to diminish other ruby projects I didn't test (like SWS,
cerise, ..), but I'm really pleased with cgikit and can only encourage you
to take a look at it.....

Raph