D> Thanks, with --safe-level it works (though I don't understand why/what
D> it does).

 Except that it's a very *BAD* idea and don't repeat that this option exist
 (it's voluntary *NOT* documented)

D> I wanted to statically link libruby.so because I intend to distribute
D> plruby.so to machines where there might not be Ruby installed (or Ruby
D> might installed in a different location). Though thinking about it
D> again, I realize I can always distribute libruby.so along... :)

 If you compile it with --enable-... and $SAFE < 3 it will create

svg% find . -name '*so'
./src/conversions/geometry/plruby_geometry.so
./src/conversions/network/plruby_network.so
./src/conversions/basic/plruby_basic.so
./src/plruby.so
svg%

 This means that plruby_{basic,geometry,network}.so will also be compiled
 with the static version of libruby

Guy Decoux