On Mar 4, 2004, at 9:09 PM, Phil Tomson wrote:

> In article <C8AA3C9E-6E24-11D8-A7C0-000502FDD5CC / mac.com>,
> Mark Hubbart  <discord / mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 4, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Phil Tomson wrote:
>>
>>> Being new to OS X (about 2 weeks now).
>>>
>>> What's the best way to upgrade from the included Ruby (1.6.8) to
>>> 1.8.1?
>>
>> I tried a few different ways; for me the best way was to configure
>> ruby
>> to install into /usr/local. This lets me keep the system version of
>> ruby around, and makes it so that I don't have to reinstall the newer
>> version of ruby when I upgrade the OS.
>>
>>> 1. I want to use RubyCocoa; are there any issues if I upgrade to
>>> 1.8.1?
>>
>> (Disclaimer! I didn't work with it a whole lot, but did read the
>> docs.)
>> IIRC: applications built with Ruby v1.8 may not run properly on
>> systems
>> running Ruby v1.6.
>
> I would expect that your RubyCocoa bindings would need to be built with
> the version of Ruby you're using - is that what you mean?

yeah. I'm nearly positive that if you build RubyCocoa against a certain
version of Ruby, that's what you have to use with it from then on.
That's one reason why I would advise against deleting the original
distribution; that's the one that your users will have.

>>> 2. In the future it would be cool to be able to release my RubyCocoa
>>> creations into the OS X wild (even to non-Ruby users).  Is there any
>>> way currently to package a RubyCocoa app so that anyone who downloads
>>> it can just run it without having to go and get the RubyCocoa libs?
>>
>> There are two types of applications that you can make with RubyCocoa.
>> One is a standard ruby script that includes the extensions that link
>> the framework. The other is a bundled app that you produce using
>> Apple's XCode. If you go with the bundled app, the framework can be
>> bundled up inside the app and noone will need to know that you even
>> used Ruby in the app :) If you distribute a script, OTOH, you will
>> need
>> to provide the framework and compiled extensions.
>
> Can you give some more details about the second option?  How does one
> go
> about doing this? (a quick HOWTO?)

There should be project templates (for Project Builder / XCode) that
you can install with the framework... You build the app using XCode and
Interface Builder, mostly like a Java-Cocoa app. Compile it in XCode,
and it will build the application, and by default (I think) it includes
the framework in the app bundle. The app that you get should look and
act just like any other mac app.

--Mark