In article <C8AA3C9E-6E24-11D8-A7C0-000502FDD5CC / mac.com>,
Mark Hubbart  <discord / mac.com> wrote:

>On Mar 4, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Phil Tomson wrote:
>
>> Being new to OS X (about 2 weeks now).
>>
>> What's the best way to upgrade from the included Ruby (1.6.8) to
>> 1.8.1?
>
>I tried a few different ways; for me the best way was to configure ruby
>to install into /usr/local. This lets me keep the system version of
>ruby around, and makes it so that I don't have to reinstall the newer
>version of ruby when I upgrade the OS.
>
>> 1. I want to use RubyCocoa; are there any issues if I upgrade to
>> 1.8.1?
>
>(Disclaimer! I didn't work with it a whole lot, but did read the docs.)
>IIRC: applications built with Ruby v1.8 may not run properly on systems
>running Ruby v1.6.

I would expect that your RubyCocoa bindings would need to be built with
the version of Ruby you're using - is that what you mean?

>> 2. In the future it would be cool to be able to release my RubyCocoa
>> creations into the OS X wild (even to non-Ruby users).  Is there any
>> way currently to package a RubyCocoa app so that anyone who downloads
>> it can just run it without having to go and get the RubyCocoa libs?
>
>There are two types of applications that you can make with RubyCocoa.
>One is a standard ruby script that includes the extensions that link to
>the framework. The other is a bundled app that you produce using
>Apple's XCode. If you go with the bundled app, the framework can be
>bundled up inside the app and noone will need to know that you even
>used Ruby in the app :) If you distribute a script, OTOH, you will need
>to provide the framework and compiled extensions.

Can you give some more details about the second option?  How does one go
about doing this? (a quick HOWTO?)

Phil