Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT wrote:

> Hi!
>
> * Benny:
>> Andrew Walrond wrote:
>> > Rubyx is a modern linux distro created entirely from source by a
>> > small script written in the ruby language. The same script
>> > handles all subsequent package management. Amongst many other
>> > interesting features, Rubyx also has a completely new init system
>> > written in ruby.
>> >
>> damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
>> system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.
>
> Feel free to start 'RuBSD'.
would you join the project? I haven't too much time so I wouldn't start it
alone at the moment.

> Could you detail what precisely makes you
> choose FreeBSD in favor of NetBSD and OpenBSD?
1. It seems to have a larger user-base.
2. I'm familiar with it
3. more ports
(my idea was to make FreeBSD more userfriendly and therefor it seems to be
better suited with more apps and larger userbase to test apps)

I guess my second favourite would be NetBSD. Much of the code of one is used
in another (e.g. OpenBSDs pf recently was ported to FreeBSD, the
USB-support of NetBSD and FreeBSD has the same basis). I got the impression
that FreeBSD runs faster than NetBSD on i386 but NetBSD might have a better
design.
I think dragonfly-bsd is an interesting project but since it reuses large
parts of FreeBSD 4.8 and some code is exchange between FreeBSD 5.x and
dragonfly (in both directions)it should not be too difficult to switch to
dragonfly later on when it has proven to be a better successor of the 4.x
line than 5.x

> Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT
benny