On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:35:44 -0700, dhtapp <dhtapp / cox.net> wrote:

> "why the lucky stiff" <ruby-talk / whytheluckystiff.net> wrote in message
> news:4043AA36.5030406 / whytheluckystiff.net...
>
>> Is it okay with everyone if I make chapter announcements on ruby-talk?
>
> I can't speak for the more experienced folks (which is to say,  everybody
> else on the list), but I'd prefer that you delivered such announcements to
> me in person.
>
> And as soon as I become governer of my very first (smallish) state, you're
> in charge of all the public school textbooks.
>
> - dan

Heh, Why_ promises a smallish book unless we are to to distinguishing here
between light/small and light/easy reading, which I hope we are:

On the book's home page Why_ writes:
"This is just a small Ruby book. It won't crush you. It's light as a
feather (because I haven't finished it yet'hehe). And there's a reason
this book will stay light: because Ruby is simple to learn."

I don't think I want him to stop writing, he should do a Dilbert or
something and just go on and on... on everything Ruby, and any related
tool that catches his fancy, (eventually converting and incorporating his
previous writings on more specific subjects (what's new in ruby 1.8oh) or
tools he uses or recommends with Ruby, like sqlite, or yaml into this style
as later chapters of his book).

Don't rush to finish (writing) it, and do write much, if you have the time
it does not need to end.

And as I don't write here that often, I'd like also to thank Andy and
Dave here for writing the Pickaxe. When your book came out, I needed it,
and could hardly wait for it, (and yes I still have a battered old
hardcopy). To have it online as well, has been wonderful, not least when
attempting to promote Ruby. Ok there are many others to thank lots in the
Ruby community, and many of these too obvious to mention:

Thank you all (don't stop),
and Why_ please keep writing.

ralph