Mark Watson wrote:

> Lyle Johnson <lyle / knology.net> wrote in message
> news:<4043E5F2.3050406 / knology.net>...
> >
> > I haven't made any changes to FXRuby to try to accomodate the problem,
> > whatever it was (is). Is the fix then due to upgrading to Ruby 1.8.1?
> >

> Im not sure whether upgrading to Ruby 1.8.1 'fixed' the problem or if
> it was the fact that I compiled it with visual c++ 7.1.  The 1.8.1
> pragprog installer version of ruby doesnt seem to work.
>
> I say 'fixed' because this seems like a really dodgy workaround :)

I didn't really go into all the details, but there are some good reasons why
1.8.1 would have fixed the problem and (unknown to me at the time) why the
windows installer version does not.

The problem that was preventing the debugger from working under windows was
related to the fact that Windows does not have an equivalent of "fork"
and/or broken support for "popen3". There was a patch for ruby out of Japan
for the popen problem that (theoretically) should have allowed the debugger
to run -- but I was never able to get it work. I imagine that this patch has
been integrated into ruby in the 1.8.1 release.

I tried the windows installer version of 1.8.1, which did not work, so I
concluded that the problem still existed in ruby. But since I started
working on the windows installer project I have run into some anomalies that
suggest that that it might have (inadvertently) been partially built with
cygwin, and this could be a problem for the FreeRIDE debugger.

Curt