On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Charles Comstock wrote:

<snip>
>   Here we run into a bunch of problems with translation.  I will start
>   thinking of a nice way to embed this in the ruby syntax, as I don't really
>   think that much of the Perl style syntax.  While the inheritence
> portion MAY be possible to implement in the current ruby syntax, other parts
> would definitely need a custom regex engine, which probably sacrifices speed
> amoung other things.

sound like an o.k. idea, but what advantage would it have over racc, which is
already distributed with ruby?  i must say the value of dynamically creating
parsers seems like it would not be too heavily used - just making a good
parser is hard enough and i would think that any grammars simple enough to
generate parsers for on the fly would be simply enough to parse by hand.
considering that, i perfer the approach of racc which will generate a static
parser using a very ruby-esc syntax.

-a