Mark Hubbart wrote:

> Indeed, it does :) I wasn't thinking so much of translation to C, but
> that would probably be much easier, and would be *much* better than not
> having anything. And, it could pave the way for modifying a C compiler
> to support the subset. (I hope I'm not being completely naive :)
>
> If there *was* a compiler, then it would be perfect for projects like
> Rubyx and ROS. It would make it so that more people would be able to
> participate, since they could leverage their Ruby skills towards the
> project.

Mark,

I like the way you're thinking. I believe the principal reason a Ruby
compiler (or C translator) doesn't exist is simply that no one has
written one.

That being the case, go for it.

Of course, there are a few VM approaches out there (mostly experimental,
I think). There is also an rb2c which may still be in the RAA. (I
believe it was written for Ruby 1.4.x).

Of course, some aspects of such a project would be easier than others.
:)

Cheers,
Hal