On Feb 27, 2004, at 11:19 AM, gabriele renzi wrote:

> il Sat, 28 Feb 2004 02:32:13 +0900, Mark Hubbart <discord / mac.com> ha
> scritto::
>
>> What cRuby *would* be useful for:
>>  - Writing shared libraries that people programming in other languages
>> could use
>>  - Creating multi-platform apps that don't require a Ruby installation
>>  - Avoiding C/C++ at all costs :)
>
> first and last sounds much like pyrex[1].
>
> [1]http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/version/Doc/
> About.html

Indeed, it does :) I wasn't thinking so much of translation to C, but
that would probably be much easier, and would be *much* better than not
having anything. And, it could pave the way for modifying a C compiler
to support the subset. (I hope I'm not being completely naive :)

If there *was* a compiler, then it would be perfect for projects like
Rubyx and ROS. It would make it so that more people would be able to
participate, since they could leverage their Ruby skills towards the
project.

--Mark