Dave, thanks for the prompt reply. To clarify my understanding of your
comments:

1) RDoc and ri in Ruby 1.8/1.9 are recent stable versions
2) RDoc and ri in sourceforge are obsolete
3) ri in Ruby 1.8.1 doesn't support generating Tagged format output?
4) You recommend using RI module classes directly in a Ruby script to
lookup classes and methods.

jEdit runs on the JVM and I've implemented the code completion as a
BeanShell macro script. I call out to Ruby/ri by executing a system
command and taking in the resulting output stream.

Given this implementation it doesn't seem possible to create a RiCache
and keep it lying around. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Rob