On Feb 26, 2004, at 16:58, Shashank Date wrote:

> Nathaniel Talbott <nathaniel / talbott.ws> wrote:
>
>> First of all, that (improperly labeled) error
>> is due to the host
>> refusing the connection when the client tries
>> to connect (see [ruby-talk:80235]).
>
> Yes, I have played a little with DRb before so
> I knew about that. It did not mislead me.

Good... I thought it was fixed, but apparently it hasn't been. Hope it
doesn't trip anyone else up.

>> Are you sure that your router is forwarding inbound
>> connections on the port you're using to your home PC?
>
> Here is where I'm dense :-)
> No, I am not sure and I don't know how to verify.
> Any suggestions?

Try running a simpler service on the computer, such as a web server,
and see if you can connect to it from outside. As for actually setting
up the router... who knows. It varies a lot.

>> You do need to modify the programs - see:
>>
>> http://drbfire.rubyforge.org/classes/DRbFire.html
>>
>> Specifically the "Basic Usage" section.
>
> I had read that section before and read it again.
> Am I missing the obvious (other than the options
> usage)?

Well, you need to do four basic things:

First,
   require 'drb/drbfire'

Second, change your url to use the correct protocol, i.e.:
   drbfire://server
instead of
   druby://server

Third, you need to specify the server's url when calling
DRb.start_service on the client.

Fourth, you need to specify the right role, server or client, in each
half's config hash.

See the samples directory for simple client and server examples.

> Earlier I was doing:
>
> c:\rbtest> ruby client.rb server.ip.adrs.here
>
> and now I am doing:
>
> c:\rbtest> ruby client.rb --host=server.ip.adrs.here
>
> But the result is the same.

DRbFire doesn't do anything directly with the command-line parameters
of your script, so I wouldn't expect this to affect it working or not.

Perhaps you could start by just trying to get the sample client and
server running through your firewall? Once you get that to go, it
should be pretty easy to get your main app working.

HTH,

Nathaniel
Terralien, Inc.

<:((><