On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:16:55 +0900, David A. Black wrote:
> No.  What feels better to my brain is observing the stylistic conventions
> and traditions of a given language, and what I dislike is the fact that
> Ruby seems to have been singled out for a kind of "oh, just do whatever
> you want" treatment, when the conventions are perfectly evident, clear,
> and consistent.

I somewhat do convention changes with Delphi when I have to use Delphi. The
convention for a Delphi object is something like:

  Type
    TMyObject = Class
    Private
      FFieldName: String;
    End;

(I've already made one other convention change here. Most Delphists would
put Type, Class, Private, String, and End in lowercase. I maintain that
keywords in Pascal should be capitalised, because that's how I learned how
to program Pascal.)

When I write delphi, I do:

  Type
    TMyObject = Class
    Private
      _fieldname: String;
    End;

This is similar to how I specify private instance variables in C++ and Java
and is a convention I picked up some years ago as it marks a variable as a
private instance variable just as surely as @var does in Ruby.

-austin
--
austin ziegler    * austin / halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada
                                         * 12.14.36