Thanks for the EUC encoded link.

nobu.nokada / softhome.net wrote in message news:<200402211129.i1LBTmat015360 / sharui.nakada.niregi.kanuma.tochigi.jp>...
> I don't think UConv is obsolete, and as for IConv, which is a
> standard part certainly, also needs another library, libiconv
> which may not be available on all platform.

I wasn't aware of this.  I thought iconv was standard now, a
guaranteed part of the Ruby distribution.

> I'm not sure which versions you mean by "old code" and "new
> code".  Do you mean the code older than imported to ruby CVS
> repository?

Code older than what is currently in CVS right now.  Code that uses
UConv, which I stripped out at some point.

Matz, could you verify or deny that iconv is available on all
platforms that Ruby >=1.8 is *supposed* to work on?  I remember at one
point you suggested that I use iconv to handle encodings, but if it
isn't available on some platforms, this is a problem.

> > Each encoding required two files.  Yuck.
>
> Sorry, what two files?

encodings/<encoding>_decl.rb
encodings/<encoding>.rb

> But current encoding code also doesn't seem thread-safe.  What
> happens if the context switches between setting the class
> variable and instance_eval?

Yes, this needs to be fixed by synchronization.

--- SER