han.holl / pobox.com (Han Holl) wrote in message news:<b93fa83f.0402240345.2b9aa7f7 / posting.google.com>...
> Now that REXML is included in Ruby, I think (possible) bugs are of
> interest to the readers of this list. I might try to crosspost in

Yeah, that's the downside to REXML in Ruby.  There is a dedicated
REXML mailing list, a dedicated bug tracking system, and a dedicated
web page.  There is a bunch of documentation that isn't included in
the Ruby CVS system.  I'm reluctant to cross-post from the REXML
mailing list to the newsgroup simply because I think there's enough
noise in the group as it is; that wouldn't solve the core problem that
people using REXML these days may not even realize that there exists a
separate forum for it.

> The irony is that this bug is just the behaviour that I wanted!
> Now I'll have to find out how to use starts-with. I'm afraid I
> don't find XPath syntax to be very intuitive.

Yeah, XPath can be tricky, but it is pretty simple once you get the
hang of it, until you start doing complex filtering.

You had it almost right, though:

	/program/item[ starts-with( @rnum ) = "1"]

--- SER