On Wednesday, February 25, 2004, 1:11:16 AM, Kirk wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Bennett, Patrick wrote:

>> I'm confused about the 'speed' argument.  In pretty much any editor
>> worth using, hitting the tab key works the same whether you use spaces
>> or tab characters for tabs.

> The speed issue comes up when I am refactoring, largely.  That's when I
> have to change the indentation for my code, and while Eclipse, which is
> what I am using now, has a nice feature to move indentation of whole
> blocks in or out, this is not a feature I've had before (or, well, if vim
> can do this, or Kate, it's not a feature I've educated myself about), so
> spaces mean twice as many character to deal with (at least).  It's a
> factor.

I use Vim, and almost never have to touch the TAB or SPACE key for
indentation purposes.  Vim just puts the cursor where it should be
after I hit ENTER.  Moving a set of lines in or out one indent level
is very easy (:help >), and re-auto-indenting a bunch of code is too
(:help =).

So speed is, thankfully, never an issue.

Cheers,
Gavin