On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Bennett, Patrick wrote:

> I'm confused about the 'speed' argument.  In pretty much any editor
> worth using, hitting the tab key works the same whether you use spaces
> or tab characters for tabs.

The speed issue comes up when I am refactoring, largely.  That's when I
have to change the indentation for my code, and while Eclipse, which is
what I am using now, has a nice feature to move indentation of whole
blocks in or out, this is not a feature I've had before (or, well, if vim
can do this, or Kate, it's not a feature I've educated myself about), so
spaces mean twice as many character to deal with (at least).  It's a
factor.

Kirk Haines