"Michael Davis" <mdavis / sevasoftware.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:xqB_b.7169$aT1.3334 / newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Markus Spath wrote:
> > Michael Davis wrote:

> >> 4) Is it wise to to jump to such a conclusion without first fully
> >> understanding all of the reasons for such a requirement?  I
understand
> >> my clients need for JDBC and while it may not make since given the
> >> limited information I have provided, it does make a lot of since to
my
> >> client.
> >
> > ..
> >
> > did you consider some sort of http-based facade for accessing your
JDBC
> > only database - e.g. via SOAP ?
> >
> > markus
> >

> Interesting suggestion but I'm not sure I understand.  Would you mind
offering a little more detail about what would be needed to set up the
http-based facade?

I guess he means, write a small web application (basically a single
Servlet that executes queries and returns the result), deploy it in Tomcat
(or any other Servlet Container) and have your Ruby script contact that
servlet via HTTP, transferring the query and receiving the result as CSV,
HTML, XML or whatever.  That's basically a variant of option 1 (java
command line executable) which should perform better since you don't have
the startup-connect-disconnect-shutdown penalty you have to pay with a
command line tool.

That's probably the cleanest and most performant solution if HTTP is
allowed by your clients.  It's a simple web service, if you like, but
without the need for SOAP.

Regards

    robert