Sean Russell wrote:

> Michael Davis <mdavis / sevasoftware.com> wrote in message news:<AKo_b.4954$yZ1.1140 / newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
>
>>No.  The data that I need to access may not always be relational and I have
>>been given specific requirements for using both JDBC and ODBC.  I explored
>>many possible options for accessing data with my client and they have several
>>very good reasons for these requirements.
>

> Are you trying to cheat?  The only reason I can think of for
> *requiring* an application to use JDBC is to be obtuse about
> *requiring* the application to be written in Java.
>
> However silly your requirements may sound, it seems to me as if you
> have four options:
>
> 1) Write a dumb Java application that takes two arguments: a JDBC
> connection string, and a SQL string.  Then have it execute the query
> and dump the results as a [CT]SV and have your Ruby application invoke
> the Java app to get the data.  This is really, really stupid.
> 2) Use JRuby to execute your application.  Then you can access the
> JDBC API from within Ruby.  This is a better solution, but your
> application will be that much slower, and you'll have to be careful
> about the places where JRuby is incomplete.
> 3) Implement (1), but secretly, and obtusely, use the Ruby DBI
> interface.
> 4) Shoot the person who gave you that requirement, because it is
> utterly stupid*.
>

> * I can think of only one case in which you *have* to use JDBC, and
> that would be where you happen to have a JDBC connector for a
> database, and one doesn't exist for DBI.  Improbable, but possible.
>
> --- SER

1) I hadn't considered this possibility.  Thanks for suggesting it.

2) I am considering this possibility but I have some reservations in addition to the ones you mention.

3) I am not even going to consider this option, it's an integrity thing.  I am always up front with my clients about how things are implemented.

4) Is it wise to to jump to such a conclusion without first fully understanding all of the reasons for such a requirement?  I understand my clients need for JDBC and while it may not make since given the limited information I have provided, it does make a lot of since to my client.

May I lovingly add, that criticism about my clients requirement(s) is not really very helpful.  I have a requirement and I intend to satisfy all of the requirements.  I am looking for a solution not reasons why I shouldn't do it.

Thanks, Michael