dhtapp wrote:

> "Michael Davis" <mdavis / sevasoftware.com> wrote in message
> news:AKo_b.4954$yZ1.1140 / newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> {snip...}
>

>>No.  The data that I need to access may not always be relational and I
>
> have been given specific requirements for using both JDBC and ODBC.  I
> explored many possible options for accessing data with my client and they
> have several very good reasons for these requirements.
>
>>Thanks, Michael
>

> I'm curious as to your current thinking on this.  Are you considering a
> separate Java process to mediate between Ruby requests and JDBC calls?  (Not
> suggesting anything; I'm in uncharted waters here.  Just nosy :-)
>
> - dan

Thanks.  I offered the original question because I am also unclear about what choices I have.  Having a separate Java process running that my Ruby application would talk too for JDBC access is worth considering, however, I am concerned about my clients willingness to supporting an additional process that must always be running.

I am also considering using JRuby as Gavin suggested but I am concerned about my clients willingness to accept using a third party utility that is still in beta and their ability to support the product after I have developed it for them.

I am comfortable with creating a C module that allows Ruby to access other existing libraries.  This is the approach I am planning to use for ODBC access.  However, I don't know if it is even possible to create a Ruby extension using C or Java that would allow me access to JDBC.

In the end, I want to deliver the simplest, easiest to support solution I possibly can.  I feel I have achieved this using Ruby with the one exception of needing to support JDBC.  If adding JDBC means using an approach that too difficult to support, I will have to re-write using Java.

Thanks, Michael