Carsten Eckelmann wrote:

> I will like to assist.

Glad to hear it, welcome! :)

> I think this calls for a 'pluggable' architecture. This is what makes
> JEdit so attractive. The core team concentrates only on making the
> Basics just right and let users add their favorite 'pet' function
> themselves by giving them a well defined API.

That is a good idea. I would like to see all the most basic features
added before coding plugin capability, I think.

When we do make it plugin-capable, FreeRIDE's infrastructure (called
FreeBASE -- now separable from FreeRIDE) might be a good one to use.

> By looking at the first picture on your website my hair stood on end,
> because I have drawn the exact same picture just some weeks ago, when
> you started this thread on rub-talk. I like tree-based information but I
> also like sticky-notes. I tried using these desktop-sticky-notes that
> float around always hidden under other windows, when you need them, and
> there's no way of grouping them or organising them. The cool thing about
> sticky-notes is, that you can drag them around and visually group them,
> which you could never do with any other PIM out there (not even with the
> famous MindMappers). When using Unix I easily could create many virtual
> desktops and fill them just with sticky-notes, but then theres no search
> capability, well that's what Tycho has to offer I guess.

Hmm, I had not thought of keeping track of notes' positions. I have been
thinking in terms of IS, which basically puts them wherever it wants on
the screen. I like your idea, but how do we deal with the fact that only
a few notes on the stack will be visible at one time?

> I would be glad to help out if only to not do it myself (I think the
> features that you suggest 'click' close enough with my ideas, to make
> this happen).

I'm sure we are not 100% in agreement, but we are close enough. And we
can compromise as needed. (I already compromised a little for Gavin
Sinclair, who doesn't even have time to contribute, but would like to
be a user.)

> One suggestion: how about moving this discussion to the rubyforge forum
> (or create a tycho mailing list)?

I just created the tycho-devel mailing list, which should go into effect
in a few hours.

Please excuse me, but I am still learning how to admin a rubyforge
project.

Cheers,
Hal