David MacQuigg wrote:

>I'm putting together a web page comparing Ruby to Python, and I need
>some good examples showing off the advantages of Ruby.  I'm new to
>Ruby, so all I've been able to do so far is pick some examples from
>the Programming Ruby book, and do a Google search on "compare ruby
>python".   What I've found is way out-of-date.

the ruby code could be simplified:

file, length, name, title = line.chomp.split(/\s*\|\s*/)
name.squeeze!(" ")
=>
file, length, name, title =line.split /\|/
name.strip!

also, if min and sec are numbers, they should be kept in number
variables imho. but it makes the code look more complicated to newbyes
so it's discussable:
mins, secs = length.scan(/\d+/)
songs.append Song.new(title, name, mins.to_i*60+secs.to_i)
=>
mins,secs = length.scan(/\d+/).map {|i| i.to_i}
songs.append Song.new(title, name, mins*60+secs)