"Hal Fulton" <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote in message
news:4037EDA2.3080501 / hypermetrics.com...
> Hello, all.
>
> I hate announcing things that don't really exist yet, but I'm
> wanting assistance on this. So here goes.
>
> The idea for Tycho stems from my intense desire to have a good
> Linux-based PIM (Personal Information Manager).
>
> See http://tycho.rubyforge.org

Wow! ... would love to help but I don't think I'll be able to.

So naturally I am just brimming with suggestions :-)

Why limit the internal topic hierarchy to a tree? The tree limitation is
aggravating in PIMs, IE Bookmarks, other hierarchical "Favorites", directory
structures, and the "tyrranny of the dominant decomposition" cited by
Aspects and Mdsoc.

Instead, merge topics and keywords/key-phrases. Allow each note to be tagged
with 1 or more topics (keywords/key-phrases), and allow those topics to form
a DAG of topic inclusion. So my note about the blues concert next month can
be tagged with "Blues" (which might be included in the topic "Music"), and
"March" (which might be included in the topic "Calendar"). Topic inclusion
is user-defined (or you can get fancy and guess at some, like <any valid
date> in "Calendar"). That way you can quickly categorize notes simply by
typing in some topics/keywords. Search still works fine, it's easy to create
a tree view on the DAG, some manipulation operations may need some tweaking.
Perhaps the single tree in the tree view is just a projection of this DAG.

Mouse-less usability would be nice.

What GUI will you use?