> I would say typecasts are type violations!!! That means when using
> the strong typesystem of C++ you cannot achieve your goal, you use
> typecasts that C++ provide to help you to come out of that
> misere. That means you *violate* C++'s typesystem/checking
> *on*purpose*.

I would tend to agree. In C (even the latest), the reasons for doing so
are many. In C++ there are many less of them; however in 2nd generation
C++ (ANSI), some special typecasts have been added to formalize some kinds
of frequent and less harmful typecasts. This suggests that ordinary
typecasts are more and more seen as hacks around the system.

matju