Aredridel wrote:

> I've just created packages (including .spec files to be used as
> templates in other distros) of rake and ruby-dbi for the PLD GNU/Linux
> distribution. They should be at the builders reasonably quickly, and
> available for general consumption after that.
>
> I also have a plea for package maintainers: Make your packages
> distribution friendly.  Let the distribution build a package as a
> non-root user -- supporting and documenting a DESTDIR variable,
> "--destdir" config option or supporting "--prefix" in the install phase
> is all fine. I'm tired of finding custom install.rb scripts, though,
> that don't support it, and having to patch the packages before I commit
> them.
>
> Also, one thing to consider: Let the package install into
> rubylibdir, not just sitelibdir.  Many distributions consider it good
> form to put distro-supplied packages in a "System" directory -- for
> perl, this is the vendor_perl branch; in ruby, this is the rubylibdir.
> That leaves the sitelibdir open for site-local modifications.
>
> Making packaging easy isn't just a nice idea, either: it gains you wider
> distribution, wider exposure, and more people giving constructive
> criticism. It may be as unpleasant as documentation, but that doesn't
> mean it doesn't need to be done.
>
> Ari

Documentation shouldn't be considered unpleasent.  If you go to the
trouble of making something to share, it's common curtesy to at least
give basic instructions on it's use.  Yes most of us are programmers not
tech writers, but we should take pride in explaining what our creation
is capable of.

Charlie