Hi.
This is probably naive, but I was wondering why you couldn't just use Ruby's
existing front-end implementation to parse and build an AST, and then build
a seperate generator that takes the AST as input to compile and emit Parrot
VM code? I haven't looked at Ruby's implementation, so I don't know how it
was designed, but if it was designed to seperate concerns: tokenizing,
parsing, semantic checking, optimization,  etc., then as long as you know
what each part returns, you should be able to build new components for each
stage. In this case, you'd want to build a new Parrot code generator that
takes the AST that Ruby currently creates when interpreting a program
(assuming Ruby creates an AST, of course). You might also be able to make a
generator for .NET in this way ... Anyway. I was just thinking you could
leverage the existing code, and save some time and effort. But, perhaps what
I'm saying can't be done - or can't be done using Ruby's existing C
implementation. Just an idea.

Sean