I am building a web application for a client in Ruby.  The application is working but now needs to access data using JDBC.  My client is requiring both ODBC (for Windows) and JDBC (for Sun) access to data.  I am looking for an example of how to use JDBC from within Ruby.  I have looked at Jruby but would prefer to write my own code rather than rely on a third party add-on that is beta, especially one that has not been updated in a while.  If I write the data access portion in Java that uses JDBC, can I then write a Java wrapper that would allow Ruby to call the Java methods?  Are there any examples available showing how to call a Java method from within Ruby similar to the C interface to Ruby?

If I can't come up with a viable solution to accessing JDBC soon, I may have to re-write it in Java.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Davis