On Friday, 20 February 2004 at 23:00:58 +0900, David A. Black wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Jim Freeze wrote:
>
> You've questioned its ruby-like-ness (correctly, I think), and
> stated that you're not inclined to use it, and that it isn't
> used much.
>
> Is there any reason *not* to avoid it? :-)

It just bugs me? :)

Personally, I have never used capitalized instance variables and I
can't recall seeing it in any of the stdlibs. But while reviewing one of
my colleague's code, I noticed that he had several instance
variables that were capitalized. At first I thought, how is
he not getting a constant warning. Then I realized that Ruby
was ok with 'his' coding standard.

So, one of the things I like about Ruby is that, for the most part,
it keeps you from being stupid (e.g, making it obvious that
instance variables are different from local variables, making globals
and constants immediately recognizable, and so forth).

But, allowing @Foo is somewhat troubling to me since it 'feels' like
a constant.

--
Virtue is its own punishment.